Saturday, February 18, 2012

When I am Old

Every morning, I see this couple on at the Park. Last year she wasn't on the walker, though.  Her husband always near at hand. She uses the walker and her husband just a couple of steps behind with the lightweight chair for her to sit on when she needs a rest, which is quite often....Sometimes he seems impatient. But they both need to be out of the house every day. I know I would.

If I am old and not strong, would my children and husband be as patient with me?  To be there when I need them, just as I am there, now,  when they need me...even when they don't need me...and when  I seem to be a bother, nosey and overbearing....

Would they love me enough, to give me a helping hand or just be there...to keep me company even when there are no words exchanged...?

Mums, we spend so much time worrying, planning, working for our family....will they remember us when they are away from us...when they are all grown and they never counted how many bottles of milk we made for them, how many diaper changes or sleepless nights, how many cuts and bruises we tended to and clothes we washed and folded for them, towels picked up, meals assembled, cooked and washed up? Now, I teach them to not rely on me all the time...to ensure that they can do things for themselves and for others. Even though it is equally tough on me.  No, its not a bothersome chore, children..don't give me that look, that scowl, that frown, the rolling eyes, banging of doors and cit cit sounds .I am just preparing you...for when I am not there for you anymore...

Would you remember the times I had for you, when all you wanted was to be in front of your PS2, movie or video games?  Take off that headphone cos mum is saying something...we don't talk rubbish you know...

Maybe you don't feel the hurt, the pain and tears that I bite back when I feel my blood hitting the roof. Mums are human too...and patience is a virtue  that we don't have all the time...

To all my dear family...think of me sometimes even thought I think of you all the time...while I am still here for you.

4 comments:

  1. this is the exact paradox that I am going through...I sometimes feel that I pamper my son too much,but on the other hand...I love doing it.Once he starts college I have to start drilling him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farah...sometimes, its difficult to let go...yet we also need the time to find ouselves once more. Especially when we have been so caught up in keeping the family unit running. When the kids grow we still want to be wanted and needed but at the same time we need time for ourselves. Good luck drilling him....so when he comes back from college on holidays," mum, heres my laundry and can you please cook for me my fav dishes...etc. etc.." And thus you will be pampering him again...:)

      Delete
  2. A maternidade é um presente de Deus, criar os filhos é grande missão... Fazemos de tudo por eles, é o nosso papel, mas eles precisam ir além e buscar seus destinos. A minha felicidade é ver minha família unida e feliz.
    Um grande abraço.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria...Hi! You're the first to follow my blogs so I am so honoured. Thanks. God is indeed wonderful to give us the opportunity to experience motherhood. Not all women have that chance. We want to be there every second of the child's life to capture and remember the first meal, the first step, the first word. Even though with work and all, its not always possible. We try our best to understand them but also, this is not entirely possible. However, all mothers have the best of intentions, no matter their faith. I too, pray that my children will be happy and succeed in this life and hereafter.

      Big hug to you too.

      Delete